These are a few best practices for guided tours that we think will help you be successful with your customers:
1. 5 Steps Max. We generally see user engagement drop significantly after about 5 steps. To be the most effective we recommend keeping your tour steps to a minimum.
2. Workflow. Guided tours have the most meaning for users when you are guiding them through a workflow that is complicated or not intuitive, if you only have one or two objectives to point out you should consider using a Tooltip instead of a tour.
3. Keep it simple. Most users these days know how to complete common UI elements, you probably don't need a tour step to point out where the user needs to enter their name for example.
4. Content. Be concise and direct with your wording, make sure you're being considerate of your user's attention span. Use icons and images to convey understanding quickly. Short videos or gifs are also great for quick learning moments.
5. Audience. Make sure you are targeting your tour to the users that need to see it. For instance, if this is a tour for new users make sure you audience is set so your veteran users do not see it.