Custom Surveys are great for gathering feedback and answers to multiple, specific questions about your products and services from your customers.
Before building a Custom Survey
- Before designing a Custom Survey ask yourself: "What do I want to learn about my users?" and phrase your questions in a way to fit in with those objectives.
- Prepare for asking questions that are short, clear, useful and insightful.
- Make sure to pay attention to user comments – users that take the time to type responses provide valuable insights.
Building your Survey
Step 1: Customize the body
- In UserIQ, navigate to Engagements > Create Engagements > Customer Survey > Default
- As with other engagement types:
- Apply your theme
- Name your survey
- Add a headline
- Add an (optional) image
- Write your body content
- Modify your Left/Right buttons as needed.
- Choose your display options and any advanced options.
Step 2: Add your questions
- Click Add Questions at the bottom of the page.
- Use radio buttons if only one response from a list of responses is desired.
- Use checkboxes if multiple and varied responses are allowed or encouraged.
- Add a comment box to each radio or checkbox question for additional feedback.
- Use the free-form comment box response type to ask your customers for stories or product suggestions.
Step 3: Add your audience
- Click Edit Audience at the bottom of the page.
- Use our Audience Filters to configure your desired audience.
- Preview the Audience (bottom menu bar) to make sure your engagement audience is not 0 users.
- Save your engagement.
Step 4: View in the All Engagements list
Once you save your engagement, it will appear in the engagements > All engagements > Prioritized list. It is set to Preview by default and will be visible to all UserIQ users in your organization who are also logged into your platform until Paused or Activated. From All engagements you can:
- Adjust a Survey's priority by dragging its card (up/down to increase or decrease priority respectively) via the ellipsis to the left of the Survey name.
- Preview the engagement on your app once the priority is set.
- Go over the recommendations mentioned below before you set your engagement to Active.
Before you go live with your Custom Survey, we recommend you go over the key information below:
- The viewable area of Custom Surveys is restricted to 650 by 365 pixels. More than 3 or 4 questions will lead to scrolling within the modal window. So, we recommend 5 questions or fewer.
- Special formatting, pictures, and links can be placed in the body of the survey, but not in individual questions.
- There is no limit to the number of questions you can ask, but keeping your Surveys as short as possible will increase the likelihood of accurate responses and decrease the likelihood of Survey dismissal.
- Create a segment for internal user testing and set your Survey live to this segment prior to activating for your target audience.
- Test your Survey in multiple browsers across machines with different operating systems.