Selecting Custom Variables
To get the most out of UserIQ, we recommend you to pass along some identifying information about your users. This will help you segment your users based on their activity. It will also help us track which users have been presented a Guided Tour or other in-app messages and interactions.
What are custom variables?
Custom Variables are the tracked attributes of users within your web application, which enable detailed user segmentation. This helps you create highly personalized engagements.
How many variables can I have?
Currently we have not set a limit to the number of variables you can pass, however, there are 6 mandatory variables that are required (the character limit for most variables is 255).
Which variables should I push?
You should push all variables and key indicators used to analyze your customers. This can include anything from your customers’ roles, locations, time zones, languages, membership status, etc. You can add an unlimited number of variables as you deem necessary for segmentation.
What are mandatory variables?
These variables are inherent to the layout and functionality of UserIQ.
You MUST pass a unique user identifier as user_id (i.e.; internal id, numeric, email, etc.).
UserIQ works best if you pass these 6 variables stated above:
#1: user_id (string)
- This variable is required to track individual users accurately
- Please name the KEY as user_id in the variable
- This is the individual user's id (this can be a string of digits, an email, a name etc.)
- It must be unique
- If you pass a user's e-mail address as user_id it is mapped to both user_id and user_email
#2: user_name (string)
- Please name the KEY as user_name
- This is the individual user's name
#3: account_id (string)
- Please name the KEY as account_id
- This is the account identifier that users roll up to
- It must be unique
#4: account_name (string)
- Please name the KEY as account_name
- This the account name that users roll up to
#5: signup_date (string)
- Please name the KEY as signup_date
- Please pass data as YYYY-MM-DD
- This is the date the user signed up for or started using your product
#6: user_email (string)
- Providing user_email enables helpful features in UserIQ
- Please name it user_email
What additional custom variables can I pass to UserIQ?
You can pass any other variables that help you to segment your users.
These are examples that your company may currently be using that you would like to send over. You may need to engage your development team to determine what variables you are able to push to UserIQ.
You can also pull data into custom variable fields from Salesforce through our SFDC-UserIQ integration. For additional information on this integration take a look at the following article: UserIQ - Salesforce Integration.
Examples of variable types:
User Type Variables
- admin_level (features seen)
- user_role (job title)
- customer_value (MRR/ARR)
- plan_type (Basic/Premium)
- adoption_level (products purchased)
CRM/Financial Data Variables
- plan_status (Active/Inactive/Paid)
- opportunity_size (in $/Account)
- territory (Sales trigger for upsell)
- industry (by Account)
Customer Success Data
- Last_outreach (i.e. QBR or strategy meeting)
- Support_calls (# of – to identify churn risks)
- Support_package (special announcements)
- Trainings_given (to complement efforts)
- Certifications_earned (to reinforce info)